The Story of Old Mother Hubbard Baking Company 1926 The Beginning Old Mother Hubbard was founded in 1926, but our roots extend back to 1873 as A. Hubbard & Son bakery in Gloucester, MA. makers of hard tack sea biscuits. One day a local sailor threw a biscuit to his dog who happily gobbled it up. 1961 The company was purchased by Jim Scott, Sr., a professional in animal nutrition with a commitment to developing highly nutritious products for animals. As the Company began to grow, the company moved its headquarters to Lowell, MA. 1990s Jim Scott, Jr. began working with a team of animal nutrition experts, veterinarians and scientists to develop the best pet food in the world that would revolutionize the pet food industry, featuring only the finest natural ingredients. The result was Wellness®. 1997 Old Mother Hubbard and Wellness became pioneers in the natural movement in pet food. 2009 Old Mother Hubbard became a proud member of the WellPet family of brands. Previous Slide Next Slide Slide 0 details. Slide 1 details. Slide 2 details. Slide 3 details. Slide 4 details.