While many of us associate Easter sweets with peanut butter and chocolate, jelly beans and marshmallow Peeps, this is a great time for us to show our dogs we love them with an Easter dog treat that you can make at home!
This week is a perfect time to try our recipe and whip up a homemade Easter treat for your dog, to share it with them over the holiday weekend. We recognize you might be under stay-at-home orders or quarantined during COVID-19 so we here’s a simple DIY Easter dog treat recipe with ingredients you most likely have at home!
Homemade Easter Dog Peanut Butter Treats Recipe
Makes: 12 – 15 Easter Treats
Time to Cook: 20 Minutes
1/2 Cup Peanut Butter
1.5 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce (or vegetable oil)
1.5 Cups Whole Wheat Flour (or all-purpose flour if they have a sensitivity)
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
(Optional) 1/2 of a ripe banana, mashed
Old Mother Hubbard Treats
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a bowl, mix the egg, applesauce and half the peanut butter with a hand mixer until smooth and creamy. If you’re including banana, add it now.
3. Slowly add in the whole wheat flour, baking soda and cinnamon and continue mixing dough until it is firm enough to work with and roll out. Sometimes it’s helpful to chill the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes if it’s too warm and sticking to your rolling pin.
4. Roll out the Easter dog treats dough onto a cutting board or clean counter top (you can use a can if you don’t have a rolling pin) into ¼” thickness and use fun cookie cutter shapes to make the treats. If you have egg and bunny shapes—even better! No cookie cutters? No problem. Use a can to make circle-shaped cookies
5. Put the “cookies” on a cookie sheet that’s been spread with parchment paper with about 2 inches of space between them. Bake the treats in the oven for 15 minutes.
6. Let the Easter dog treats cool on a wire rack for about 5 to 10 minutes. Top each with a smear of peanut butter and an Old Mother Hubbard Bac’N’Cheez for a savory treat or P-Nuttier dog biscuits for the dog who can never have enough peanut butter in his life.
7. Final, and most important step, treat your dog!
When your dog is done gobbling up this homemade dessert, make sure to treat them extra with some one-on-one attention by playing fetch with them, taking them on a longer walk, and giving them a good brushing session followed by lots of cuddles. Between the Easter treats and extra love, your pup will wish every day was Easter.
Make sure to tag us if you make these Old Mother Hubbard treats at @OldMotherHubbardDogSnacks!