The next time you think about treating yo’self to a little something special, ask yourself what your dog might want if he could do the same. We’re pretty sure that the top of his list would include some dog-friendly cupcakes – okay, and all the squeaky toys in the world. So why not treat your dog to some delicious carrot pupcakes this week?
Carrots are a great food for dogs because they are a good source of fiber, potassium and vitamin A as well as being good for your dog’s dental health if she chews on raw carrots. A small carrot stick or baby carrot can be a low-calorie treat for your dog.
At Old Mother Hubbard, our four-legged family members are drooling for all things “pupcakes” this year and we love incorporating healthy ingredients into recipes along with our favorite treat flavors. Try this DIY dog cupcake recipe with a treat like Old Mother Hubbard’s Original Assortment.
Delicious Carrot Pupcakes Recipe
1/2 Cup of rolled oats
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
2 cups of carrots, grated
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
6 OMH treats broken in half
Optional “frosting”: 3 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Line a 12-cup muffin tin tray with liners.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine whole wheat flour and rolled oats.
4. In a separate bowl, gently whisk eggs, carrots and applesauce until the mixture is blended.
5. Combine the wet mixture with the dry ingredients and stir. If it seems a little dry, add a tablespoon or two of water.
6. Spoon the batter into the 12 cups.
7. Top each pupcake with half of an Original Assortment treat. (Alternatively, you could wait to add half of the treat as a decorative topper on the cream cheese frosting.)
8. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick or fork poked in the center comes out clean.
9. Let the carrot pupcakes cool on a wire rack. If you decide to add frosting, smear about a ½ tablespoon serving onto the pupcake before giving it to your pup.
10. Remove the liners before letting your dog eat the pumpkin treats.
You can store them in an airtight container on the counter for about a week or in the fridge if you added cream cheese to each. Note: If you have a smaller dog, a half-size portion might be appropriate. Skip additional treats that day!
Make sure to tag us in your Old Mother Hubbard pup bakery treats on Instagram!
Please note: Treats should be kept to 10% of your dog’s daily food intake to keep nutritional balance.